Tuesday, January 28, 2003

re-reading The Lord Of The Rings and more


Unfortunately, I haven't been reading as much as I'd like lately. I just finished an old Mary Higgins Clark book called The Cradle Will Fall (1991), given to me by Peggy recently. I ended up enjoying it very much, and I can see why she is such a popular writer, although I would not go so far as to compare her to P.D. James or Agatha Christie.

I also had to re-read the entire Lord Of The Rings trilogy (when The Two Towers movie came out), which led to endless nitpicky discussions with Grant (also re-reading same) along the lines of "But it wasn't Eomer who came to the rescue at Helm's Deep, it was another guy Erkenbrand-- Eomer was in the siege!" and "That whole bit about Arwen leaving with the elves, they totally made that up, it wasn't in the book at all!" You have to believe, this went on for weeks... in bed... over dinner... and so on.

Currently, I am re-reading Anne McCaffrey's Freedom's Challenge (I re-read most of her books periodically, a fix of old favourites).

No comments: